Part of the Cucurbits family, such as cantaloupe, watermelon and zucchini, cucumber is a fruit of cucumber plant (Cucumis sativus) that crawls and climbs. It is cultivated and part of the human diet for over 3000 years. It originally coming from tropical regions such as India, but was known in Ancient Greece and the Romans. Today is grown everywhere in Europe, and you can easily cultivate it on your balcony or in your garden.
Cucumber is made out of 95% water and contains more vitamins we need B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folic acid, vitamin C, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.. The cucumber gives only 15 calories per gram; is very healthy and has many benefits. Eaten raw in salads, cucumber is also used in many beauty recipes.
- Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins
- Skin and hair care – Cucumbers’ skin can be used for skin irritations and sunburns as aloe would be used. The silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth.
- Fight cancers – Cucumber are known to contain three lignans lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol which help reduce risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
- Hangover cure – To avoid a morning hangover; eat a few cucumbers slices before going to bed.
- Aids in weight loss and digestion
- Reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
- Mask for dry skin: Mix ½ cucumber washed with 1 tablespoon of honey and 4 tablespoons of lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your face and leave 30 minutes to dry. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Face mask resuscitation: Make a paste mixed with a small cucumber and one cup of oatmeal. Mix one teaspoon of this paste with a spoon yogurt (for oily skin) or milk (for dry skin), leave the person to act 30 minutes and rinse.
Article “10 health benefits of cucumbers” http://www.naturalnews.com/036769_cucumbers_health_benefits_rehydration.html
Receipts for homemade facial masks with cucumber
- Saturday fruit-zoom – Melon (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday fruit-zoom – Banana (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruits Zoom – Grapefruit (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruits Zoom – Avocado (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Veg’Zoom – Carrot (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruit’Zoom – Lemon (bleneraida.wordpress.com)