Like many I receive every day several Newsletters from organizations that I follow, Web pages that interest me. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to read all of them because there is always things that tug my attention. I want to learn more and a complicated journey begins through the Internet, from sites to sites I start searching for the whole story. I read, read … and unfortunately the time goes by.
Today’s trip was offered by the Earth Day network and the topic is PLASTIC. We’re not immortal and what surrounds us, affects our body and its function but also our environment. This is why it is important to be careful about what we use, what products we eat because “we are what we eat”.
To sum up: more than 300 million tons of plastic are produced every year, the last 10 years we have produced more than what has been produced throughout the 20th century, this activity produces millions of tons of greenhouse gas emissions and pollutes the air, the land and the seas. Of course anything that is outside organized collection systems is outside: over 100,000 marine animals and 1 million birds die each year from ingesting plastic.
There are several ways to reduce the amount of plastic from your life:
– Reuse, i.e. use more times something
– Recycling, apply recycling at home and at work
– Don’t throw plastic things outside the appropriate bucket
– Prefer products that do not contain plastic anytime you have the possibility
– Use multi-purpose bags to shop and don’t take plastic bags from the stores
We all can apply at least one of these solutions in our life in order to reduce the amount of plastic. On the web page of the Earthday Network, you can learn more about this important problem of plastic and in addition found out about idea to reduce it.
- Save Our Planet: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. (caretacticsblog.com)
- Recycling Plastic – an index, a definition and a discussion (plasticisrubbish.wordpress.com)
- The War Against Plastic (saywhagain.wordpress.com)
- Ecoforce recycled plastic cleaning products – a review (plasticisrubbish.wordpress.com)
- Repurpose or Recycle? Know Your Plastic! (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- 19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7 Million Tons Of Plastic From the Ocean (naturalcuresnotmedicine.com)