Very often when confronting people who don’t support organic products and especially this new “fashion” of the natural product, I wonder what is really what they do not support or don’t agree with? “Error is human” isn’t it? And this is what make human so intelligent, the ability to learn from his mistakes and to change the course actions. For this reason, it is important that person tries to learn as much as possible. There is a truth that cannot be ignored; prices aren’t balanced yet, but people must be patient and never let prices WILL DECREASE.
The Sun’s consequences on the skin are various and with different levels of severity on the health. An extended exposure to the Sun without protection can cause you the least a burning; this uncomfortable feeling where the skin does not supports the touch of any fabric! More sensitive people can suffer from much more damaging and dangerous effects:
- 50 to 70% of skin cancers are directly related to an excessive exposure to UVA and UVB. The UVB rays cause changes in the genes of the cells while UVA modify cell membranes and nuclei.
- Every year worldwide 2 million skin cancers diagnosed. The frequency is increasing dramatically for the past decades and the main causes are the development of outdoor activities and the practice of “Solarium”.
The dangers of the Sun is a serious topic, we all need to protect ourselves, but with what? Organic or οrdinary?
- A Ordinary sunscreen contains synthetic filters which convert the UV rays inside skin in non-harmful rays while the eco-sunscreen, with minerals zinc and titanium filters, protects the skin from the surface.
- Ordinary sunscreen contains preservatives, fattening, moisturizing agents to stabilize the emulsion, as well as vitamin E or vitamin C. The ingredients of the ecological are not derived from petrochemicals, contains no parabens, mineral oil and synthetic nanoparticles, candles, or even ingredients from GMOs but vegetable oils and/or essential oils.
- Concerning the environmental impact, the organic sunscreen is much dangerous than the Ordinary sunscreens, packaging is always recyclable and the company usually support and active NGO in the country.
- In terms of efficiency, an ordinary cream is easy to apply but its action is not immediate. On the other hand, an organic cream is active from the surface of the skin by creating a protective barrier to the rays. The eco-sunscreen’s downside is its application since it is thicker. However, some brands have managed to overcome this point and one find today very practical creams with SPF sometimes lower, but proved more resistant to water.
- Finally, financially, οrdinary sunscreen’s prices vary between 5 to 18 Euros while organic products from 10 to 20 Euros per 100 ml.
For adequate protection from the Sun, in both cases you will need to spread sunscreen more than once during the day. Someone who respects his body and the environment, the choice is easy: O R G A N I C or at least natural. Organic sunscreens are better for the environment, to fight against polluting industries that don’t watch out the Blue Planet and for health. In Greece, you can find several certifications, like the COSMEBIO Organic Certification ICEA and symbols that informs you the product does not contain any harmful substances etc.
Green Tip: I consume intelligently, I read every etiquettes of the products I consume. I learn what I really put on myself.
Le soleil, les UV et la santé http://www.soleil.info/sante/dossiers/quelques-chiffres-cle.html
Santé Médecine http://sante-medecine.commentcamarche.net/faq/1915-effets-du-soleil-sur-les-yeux-la-cataracte-et-l-ophtalmie
 Non-harmful rays: they are endocrine disrupters, and pass through the skin and can play a role similar to that of estrogen, they can cause hormonal disturbances, and of course their constituents are allergens.
 Like paraffin, silicone, PEG
 Chemical filters are one of the first causes of destruction of coral in the sea.
- Natural Sunscreen takes a tip from The Great Barrier Reef (ecocitizenaustralia.com.au)