Melon (Cucumis melo), is the fruit of peponia. Depending on the variety of melons, the fruit varies in shape, size, color of the peel and flesh, smell and taste and at the center an empty part contains the numerous seeds. The melon is originated from Africa and South-West Asia, but gradually began to appear in Europe towards the end of the Roman Empire. The first European settlers in the new world recorded as casaba and honeydew melons cultivation in the early 1600s. In Greece the largest cultivations are located in the Peloponnese and Crete, while a total of over 65,000 acres are cultivated with an annual production that reaches About 28.3 million tons. China has the largest world’s production of melons (produces the half, followed by Spain, Israel and Turkey in the USA.
Melons contain different antioxidants, mainly carotenoids and phenolic compounds. It also contains the superoxide dismutase (SOD), an enzyme known for its antioxidant properties. Several prospection and epidemiological studies have demonstrated that eating a lot of fruits and vegetables reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancers and other chronic diseases.
You can easily grow in your garden and on your balcony in large pots.
- Protects eyesight,
- Regulates pressure,
- Reduces cholesterol,
- Strengthen the immune.
- Saturday fruit-zoom – Banana (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruits Zoom – Grapefruit (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruits Zoom – Avocado (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Veg’Zoom – Carrot (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Saturday Fruit’Zoom – Lemon (bleneraida.wordpress.com)
- Summery Melon Smoothie (enjoythisorganiclife.com)
- Honeydew Melon, find out how it can improve mood, sleep and more elastic, younger skin (womanshealthychef.wordpress.com)
- Health Benefits Of Melon (hanyma.com)